Learn about refunds, course drops, and withdrawals.
How to Withdraw
Students who must withdraw (drop) from a course are responsible for completing the withdrawal (drop) through MyUMGC or by visiting their local UMGC Europe field office. The date a student withdraws in MyUMGC will determine the withdrawal date for refunds. Students who officially withdraw from a course after the schedule adjustment period will receive a mark of W.
GoArmyEd students must follow the procedures and withdraw through the GoArmyEd portal.
Tuition Assistance: Students using tuition assistance must contact the center that issued the tuition assistance to discuss the reasons for withdrawing from the class and possible repayment of funds.
The following actions do not constitute formally withdrawing (dropping) from a course and may result in a failing grade and forfeit of any refund:
- Stopping payment on checks or registration fees
- Non-payment of tuition charges
- Never attending or ceasing to attend class(es)
- Verbally requesting to withdraw from class(es)
When to Withdraw
The following withdrawal schedule applies to UMGC Europe students:
- On-site classes and weekend seminars: before the final day of the course
- Hybrid classes: no later than the Friday before the final week of the class
- Online classes: before 65% of the total days of a class
Students receiving financial aid are strongly encouraged to contact the Financial Aid Office before withdrawing to fully understand the impact on their current and future financial aid. Students are responsible for withdrawing themselves from courses.
Students seeking an exception to policy may complete the Request for Exception to UMGC Withdrawal and/or Refund Policy form to have their request considered.
Fall 2019 Withdrawal Dates
|Online Sessions||Last Day to Drop||Last Day to Withdraw|
|Session 1||25 Aug 2019||23 Sep 2019|
|Session 2||15 Sep 2019||18 Oct 2019|
|Session 3||6 Oct 2019||4 Nov 2019|
|Session 4||27 Oct 2019||25 Nov 2019|
|On-site Sessions||Last Day to Drop||Last Day to Withdraw|
|On-site classes||See refund schedule below||No later than day before final class|
|On-site hybrid classes||See refund schedule below||No later than the Friday before the final week of the class|
|On-site weekend seminars||Prior to class start date||No later than day before final class|
|Four-Week Sessions*||Last Day to Drop||Last Day to Withdraw|
|S4W-1||22 Aug 2019||5 Sep 2019|
|S4W-2||19 Sep 2019||3 Oct 2019|
|S4W-3||24 Oct 2019||7 Nov 2019|
|S4W-4||21 Nov 2019||5 Dec 2019|
* Some one-credit courses are offered during special four-week sessions, which have different drop and withdrawal deadlines. Withdrawal date does not apply to classes scheduled under this session with varying start and/or end dates.
Military Students Using Tuition Assistance
If you are using TA and withdraw from a class prior to completing 60 percent of the class, you may be required to pay a small portion of the tuition, due to Department of Defense regulations. Learn more about return of tuition assistance. Contact your service branch for more information.
We want to keep you abreast of the most recent withdrawal (drop) information.
This policy is effective for classes starting Summer 2019 and beyond:
- If you drop a class on or after the course start date and within
- the first 6 calendar days of a 7-week class, you will receive a 100% refund.
- the first 7 calendar days of an 8-week class, you will receive a 100% refund.
- the first 10 calendar days of an 11-week class, you will receive a 100% refund.
- the first 12 calendar days of a 14-week class, you will receive a 100% refund.
For more, see the refund calendar below.